U-Verse to launch June 30, 2008

FoxCitiesTV's picture
FoxCitiesTV
Green Bay
administrator

Just as the title says, AT&T will be launching U-Verse in Northeastern Wisconsin with installations beginning June 30. We will be able to start placing orders Monday, June 16. If you guys have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at jh5509@att.com.

NE Wisconsin just got a choice in line-based TV.

Jon Hayden
AT&T Wisconsin

Posted June 13, 2008 11:49pm in
FoxCitiesTV's picture
 #

Jon, I'll be in contact with

Jon,

I'll be in contact with you by email later today with questions.

Thanks for stopping by and letting us know about this!

Mark

hobo's picture
 #

pshh ill see it when i

pshh ill see it when i belive it

LionoPrime's picture
 #

Go figure the minute I

Go figure the minute I switch to DirecTV Uverse comes out. Im stuck 9 months with DirecTV. Acutally you know I dont feel stuck, thats not a good stztement. I have been happy with DirecTV for 3 months now and since they were dominating with HD and I was hearing little from ATT on the launch I really had no choice. I thought Uverse was going to launch last year and as another year went by I could not wait any longer.

Unless ATT is offering a good "help me by our of DirectTV contract" we wont be talking for a few years.

LionoPrime's picture
 #

I just did a quick price

I just did a quick price scan on their website and the monthly price for me personally would cose more than what I am paying now and what I was paying with just TWC all bundled. I know their are special offers available but I always look at what it costs after the offers are gone.

If anyone orders service I would like to see what service you get and what you are paying. Plus the price may be different in our area.

jonhayden's picture
 #

U-Verse may or may not be

U-Verse may or may not be cheaper than cable. What we offer is more HD channels (45), all digital picture for all channels, instead of above 100, and a free DVR.

In NE Wisconsin, anything that has a lit VRAD will launch on June 30 from Green Bay down to Fond du Lac.

Jon Hayden
AT&T Wisconsin

LionoPrime's picture
 #

Actually I am comparing TWC

Actually I am comparing TWC with unlimited local and LD, RR Broadband (6MB), and DirecTV with on HD-DVR reciever, one SD DVR, and one SD reciever. So in looking at it I have two DVR and 63 HD channels at this point counting the criteria listed on this site (No VOD, PPV channels, etc.) Do you offer a second DVR at no cost?

So what I am comparing your service is the U200, HD pack, and 3 recievers (again not sure if I can get two DVR's for that), ATT Broadband at 6MB, and U-VOICE with unlimited local and LD. If I am computing that price right on the web, not containing any special offers, I am at 160.00 before tax, which is what I am at with what I have now. Let me know if that is incorrect.

Also I do understand that RR does not get true 6MB pipe but to compare the other two Broadband packages with Uverse I am either too high or too low to what i have.

LionoPrime's picture
 #

Also Jon a few questions for

Also Jon a few questions for this site that people may have:

1) How many recievers per household?

2) How many DVR's per household? Is there an extra cost for each DVR?

3) Is there a contract committment?

4) Are you offering the ability to be able to record an HD channel and watch another at the same time?

5) If you took out the out of market regional sports channels in HD, HD PPV, and VOD PPV, what would be your number of HD channels left?

Does anyone else have any questions. Its pretty cool to have a rep from a provider on the site so I just want to take advantage of it:)

jonhayden's picture
 #

Let's take these in

Let's take these in order:

1) How many recievers per household?

You can have up to 8 boxes. Each additional box beyond the 1st is $5/mo. You can watch/record 4 streams at any given time.

2) How many DVR's per household? Is there an extra cost for each DVR?

Right now, it is only 1 DVR per household. We are expecting to lauch Whole Home DVR sometime late this year. DVR is included in U200 and higher and U-Family.

3) Is there a contract committment?

No Contracts, no commitment.

4) Are you offering the ability to be able to record an HD channel and watch another at the same time?

Yes. You can record a HD program and watch an HD program. You can watch/record 2 HD programs at any given time in any combination.

5) If you took out the out of market regional sports channels in HD, HD PPV, and VOD PPV, what would be your number of HD channels left?

LionoPrime's picture
 #

Thanks Jon, I like this

Thanks Jon,

I like this one:
We are expecting to lauch Whole Home DVR sometime late this year. DVR is included in U200 and higher and U-Family.

Your honesty is appreciated

jonhayden's picture
 #

Not a problem. If you have

Not a problem. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Anonymous's picture
 #

Do you have a link to the

Do you have a link to the channel listings/ availability in our area?

Also the HD channel lineup, will FSN HD be available?

Finally, will the CW and/or FOX be available in HD?

Thanks in advance for your help......

jonhayden's picture
 #

Do you have a link to the

Do you have a link to the channel listings/ availability in our area?

Not publically.

Also the HD channel lineup, will FSN HD be available?

Yes.

Finally, will the CW and/or FOX be available in HD?

Yes, and yes.

Anonymous's picture
 #

Actually, the listings are

Actually, the listings are public. Go to here: https://uverse1.att.com/un/launchAMSS.do. Then click on 'offers' in the upper left. If you click on 'go' within Channel Line-up in the upper left hand corner and enter your zip, it will display the channel lineup. It worked for 54901.

jonhayden's picture
 #

Yep. At the time of writing,

Yep. At the time of writing, there were no public listings...

Anonymous's picture
 #

Wow! 2 whole HD Channels at

Wow! 2 whole HD Channels at once! So, if i'm recording two HD's at once on my DVR, what do I watch on my other 2 HD Tv's ? Do i need an antenna then to watch HD? What if I want 2 HD DVR's and want to record 4 HD's at once? Sorry, not quite ready to take a step backwards, whats the point of having 4 HD sets if I cant watch HD on but 2 of them? Uverse must be for people with 1 HD set.

LionoPrime's picture
 #

I think Jon has been upfront

I think Jon has been upfront and honest that Uverse may not be for everybody. Although I am not ready to jump ship from DirecTV I have been grateful for his upfront answers. I can see the whole house DVR solution helping out those with more then one HDTV and I would not be suprised if this doesnt show up by years end or at least by Feb if I had to guess.

I think the simple fact of having another option out there besides cable and satellite is going to shake things up and will benefit everyone long term.

I am already hearing TWC ads over the radio that are anti uverse. I cant really remember what it all involved because I was too busy laughing. There was no fact in the ad and its just shows they are hurting...

jonhayden's picture
 #

Thanks for the kind words. I

Thanks for the kind words.

I think for being a two-year old product, U-verse is pretty compelling. Yes, the whole 2 streams of HD is a limitation now, but in the future with pair bonding, VDSL2, and better compression technologies, the future is bright.

Andy's picture
 #

On the west side of Oshkosh

On the west side of Oshkosh here, AT&T has been going door to door in my neighborhood. Several of my neighbors have signed up. Next door, they had their installation yesterday... I will have to stop over for a demo. The pricing seems pretty good. The factors that hold me back from signing up are the fact that a receiver box is needed at each TV, the Oshkosh access channels are not on the system, and no Milwaukee channels are offered. If those channels would come on line, I would definitely reconsider.

Kris's picture
 #

Won't OCMS be streaming

Won't OCMS be streaming there channels to AT&T?

Andy's picture
 #

Oshkosh Community Media

Oshkosh Community Media channels will show up on U-verse sometime in the future, from what I understand... they would connect immediately if AT&T would cover the high equipment costs. Even once the channels are on the system, it takes about a minute to actually get the channel to appear on your TV through a menu system... see a demo of how local access looks on U-verse in this YouTube clip. It's not the quality we've become accustomed to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMZXpOVkm9k

dwheimerl's picture
 #

I got U-Verse installed

I got U-Verse installed yesterday. The installer showed up around 9:30am, didn't leave until 4. He had issues at the cross connect box for a while. Then he was checking the wiring inside and there was something wrong with the wiring and he said he couldn't use it. So he said the only option was to run new wire and I guess the only way to do that was outside the wall. He ran it along the floor, against the floor and wall, up and around the door, storage closet door, and patio sliding door, over to the TV where he placed the RG. Ran an ethernet cable to the computer and set top box for that TV, then a coax cable through the wall into the other room and connected that to the second set top box. Finally had everything set up, internet worked, first set top box worked, second one didn't. When I had ordered the service, I said I wanted 2 TVs and 1 PC, they got it backwards. They put 1 TV and 2 PCs, so that's why the second box didn't work. He had to call sales a couple times to get the second box added and then tier two support a couple times to finally get it working. Probably spent close to an hour trying to get that second box working.

Overall, it seems pretty good. I haven't been able to play with the boxes yet, test out the DVR, or really check out the channel quality. I'll post an update with my thoughts about them when I get to do that. Wish the install wouldn't have taken so long and wish he could have either used my existing inside wiring or been able to run it any other way, except along the wall, looks kinda crappy.

hobo's picture
 #

sounds like a install in mdu

sounds like a install in mdu (multi-dwelling complex) that is only allowed 3 cable jacks so there is splitters everywhere.

Keep us posted im interested in hearing a reveiw

hobo's picture
 #

is it possible to send some

is it possible to send some pics of the install to mazda62603@yahoo.com
do you know what size of coax they used for the install eaither rg-6 or rg-59

dwheimerl's picture
 #

i'll get some pics tomorrow.

i'll get some pics tomorrow. it was my own coax that was used, i had a coax that ran from my antenna, through the wall via a wall plate, into the second room to get antenna in that room, so they just reused my coax and i had used rg-6. i would assume if they would of had to use coax it would have been rg-6 also.

Brent's picture
 #

Can I even get it in an

Can I even get it in an apartment? Don't most landlords forbid running extra wire or rerouting the coax? I really want the ability to schedule and delete recordings on the website without a voice line (I have a cell phone and don't really need anything else right now), which I don't think Dish could do, but I'm not sure how thrilled the manager might be about taking the coax out of the box it's in and rerunning it to the phone box, yet if it ends up done, it would need to be put back if I moved out. How do things work in apartments?

Thanks.

jonhayden's picture
 #

I have it in my apartment. I

I have it in my apartment. I have one HDTV and a Slingbox. Basically, the tech ran CAT5 along the baseboards for my install. Every install is different as techs will have to get creative with the wiring sometimes.

Anonymous's picture
 #

I finally got it installed

I finally got it installed on Friday. I think they some how used my phone cable I already had from the bedroom to the livingroom that once got me DSL. I suppose they put an adapter to cat 5 in somewhere. Things work great besides the fact that some of the channels are low in volume even though I have the box and TV all the way up. I have to use the coax connection between the TV and box as that is the one connection my TV has (it's one of those 13-inch ones I've had so long, but it works, but it only has coax). Would one of those amps I can get at radio shack make the sound louder if I put it in between the TV and the box? Will a volume update be coming out as I thought I heard of that on some other forums.

jonhayden's picture
 #

Which channels are low in

Which channels are low in volume? I haven't noticed any, but then again everything in my setup runs through a receiver to a surround system.

Brent's picture
 #

Actually, I've found the

Actually, I've found the need for the volume on everything at the top for just about everything. I can turn it down quite a ways for FSN, Tru TV, and possibly channel 5, but the majority of channels I've found other than that could do to get louder. That tone that sounded like emergency testing, however, is so much louder than the program that I wondered what was going off that was so loud at first. Now I know that thing might scare me even with a recording sitting quietly on pause. Might it be the fact that I'm using the coax to get the signal into the TV as that's all the input it even has that gives low audio? I thought I heard of that somewhere before, and my TV always went much louder with an antenna, analog cable, or anything. If there's no way to get louder audio out of that coax, would it be safe to use an RCA to mini plug adapter to hook up this portable speaker I have, which is actually 2 small ones in one small unit that runs on batteries or a wall cord? Would that hurt the box at all as this portable system is meant for devices with headphone or line out jacks, making the need for the adapter from 2 plugs on the box end to the 1 on this thing. Then, hopefully, I can be able to hear programs better without making the neighbors hear only the emergency tone by not needing the volume set so high just to get enough.

jonhayden's picture
 #

I'll call tech support at

I'll call tech support at 1-800-288-2020 and see if something is wrong.

TrainSafe's picture
 #

Jon, Is there a roll-out

Jon,

Is there a roll-out schedule available anywhere? I'm anxiously awaiting the VRAD in my neighborhood to 'go green'.

To comment on this story, please log in.  If you don't have an account, sign up for one.  It's free!

Recent Comments

TVfan1987: Time Warner Cable changed it's name to Spectrum Cable following the Charter merger.
on Time Warner subscribers to go to Charter, not...
Sunday, September 3 @ 6:07 pm
TVfan1987: WBAY is now owned by Gray Television.
on WBAY parent Young Broadcasting to merge with...
Sunday, September 3 @ 5:31 pm

Poll

In light of Time Warner's new "modem lease fee" for Road Runner, will you buy your own modem?:

New Members

kelcal2k1's picture
kelcal2k1
Appleton
GEOPTION57's picture
GEOPTION57
KAUKAUNA
chipdalemc's picture
chipdalemc
Wittenberg, WI
unreal2k5's picture
unreal2k5